A 24-year-old Texas man was sitting in his car outside a Forth Worth vaping store when the e-cigarette he was using exploded. He was able to get out of his vehicle, but collapsed on the pavement. He died two days later, after being placed in a medically induced coma. The medical examiner ruled the cause of death as penetrating trauma after tests revealed that a piece of the e-cigarette had lodged in the man’s throat, severing the left artery in his neck. Sadly, the injury led to a stroke which ultimately caused his death.
The tragic incident is the second reported death by an exploding e-cigarette. In May, a Florida man suffered multiple injuries to his face and burns over nearly 80% of his body after a vape pen exploded, sparking a house fire. An autopsy report later showed that the man died from a “projectile wound of the head.”
Surviving family members of the deceased victims may wish to file a product liability lawsuit. The first step is to consult an experienced attorney.